The Xiaomi Pocket 150Mbps USB WiFi Adapter is an amazing $5 WiFi dongle adapter that can also act as a router (WiFi Hotspot) for your device if you can set it up properly for your device. Since this product is designed for the Chinese market, it will take you a while to get the adapter working since the drivers and application you need to manually download is in Chinese. If you choose to not care about the Chinese user interface then this WiFi adapter is a worthy purchase as an alternative to the cheapo Ralink 802.11n USB Wireless adapter.
The speed is pretty standard compared to other dongles because it does only 150Mbps and so it is okay for video streaming and pretty good for gaming (if you are looking for a gaming WiFi adapter, check out the TP-LINK TL-WN823N N300 v3 instead).
You can also follow the instructions to see how to install the drivers and Mi WiFi application below.
- Reliable connection with little to no dropping
- Can act as wireless router/hotspot
- Better than the generic cheapo Ralink 802.11n USB Wireless adapter you can find everywhere
- Sturdy build quality for the price
- Included keychain
- Not plug and play (you have to install drivers and the app manually)
- The driver and application is in Chinese
So recently my built-in laptop wifi adapter broke and I had no way to reliably connect to the internet. While searching online for a replacement, I stumbled upon a couple of choices
- Xiaomi Pocket Mi WiFi USB router/adapter
- Ralink 802.11n USB Wireless adapter
- TP-Link Nano USB Wireless Adapter (TL-WN725N v3)
- TP-LINK TL-WN823N N300 v3 Wifi adapter
Since I live in Asia and Xiaomi is very reputable here, I thought why not give the $5 Xiaomi Pocket 150Mbps Mi WiFi USB router/adapter a try.
So I bought one and here is my review!
Design and Quality
The design itself is really nice and comes in 6 different colors (I bought the black version). It is very sturdy and has a hard plastic shell that makes it feel premium for the price. After a few weeks of having this, I haven’t really scratched it since the palstic shell is thicker and better than other competitors at this price range. Not shown in the picture but it also has an attached keychain lanyard so that you can stick this to your keychain for maximum portability
- As said previously other than just connecting to the WiFi , it can also double as a WiFi hotspot/router.
- It is also a small device and isn’t intrusive, however it is bigger than the TP-LINK nano
- Through your USB port, the Xiaomi Portable Mi WiFi is supports IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b standards which means it can theoretically go up to 150Mbps (although it is nowhere near that speed in reality).
In the Box
- It doesn’t come with the box, it comes in this plastic clip/ziploc bag that contains a manual in Chinese and the Xiaomi Mi WiFi dongle.
- P.S. Since it only came with a small ziploc bag, I have already lost the bag 🙁
Installing the Drivers [IMPORTANT]
For some lucky laptops/computers it is possible that windows auto-detects the appropriate drivers and installs it for you, however for most devices you will have to manually install the drivers and applications. The problem is, the application is in Chinese which is going to be challenging for people who don’t speak the language.
So here are step by step instructions to get your Xiaomi Portable Mini USB 150Mbps Wireless Router WiFi Adapter working and connected to a wifi network:
- Download the software needed from the official Xiaomi Mi Wifi website http://bigota.miwifi.com/xiaoqiang/miniwifi/miwifi_setup_1b601_848.exe (This is the official link from the Xiaomi website)
- Unplug your Xiaomi Wifi Adapter (if it is currently plugged in)
- Open the miwifi_setup_1b601_848.exe file by right clicking it and running it as administrator
- After the installation window appears click the blue button
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Click the blue button to complete the setup.
- Plug in your Xiaomi Wifi Adapter
- Go to your taskbar (bottom right corner of your screen) and right click on the Mi Wifi icon and then select the third option shown below.
- Click the left button to enable the Wifi adapter.
Done! Now just connect your wifi as you normally do and it will work just like a normal wifi adapter.
If you have any problems, make try to unplug and plug the Xiaomi Wifi adapter and restart your laptop.
Should You buy it?
- If you are a gamer:
- If you play casual games then buy this!
- However if you are a competitive gamer (CS:GO, PUBG, Fortnite) then buy the TP-LINK TL-WN823N N300 v3 instead.
- For others:
- If you have time to install the drivers (which takes like 10 minutes) then buy it!
- If you just need basic internet access, buy it!
For $5, this WiFi dongle adapter is really good. However it is kind of a hassle to install the drivers since it inst plug and play on some devices. If you choose to not care about the Chinese user interface then this WiFi adapter is a worthy purchase as an alternative to the cheapo Ralink 802.11n USB Wireless adapter. The speed is pretty standard compared to other dongles because it does only 150Mbps and so it is okay for video streaming and pretty good for gaming.
I hope that this review and quick tutorial is helpful. If you still have doubts on the Xiaomi dongle, I suggest looking at my review of the amazing TP-LINK TL-WN823N N300 v3 dongle that I think is the best WiFi dongle you can get for just $10 and does up to 300Mbps.